An Alkaloid of Opium. C18 H21 NO3.
Clinical.-Blepharospasm. Chorea. Cough. Diabetes. Eczema. Gastralgia. Numbness. Pruritus. Restlessness. Spasmodic twitchings. Vomiting of pregnancy.
Characteristics.-Codein possesses many of the properties of opium, from which it is derived, but it has characters sufficiently distinctive to entitle it to a separate description. Codein seems to possess in great degree the exhilarating properties some persons experience on taking opium, though it is not without strong soporific effects as well. There are many disorders of sensation, notably troublesome itching. The characteristic here is “Itching with warmth.” “Itching and heat of face and head.” “A sensation of agreeable warmth” is another characteristic symptom. Convulsive twitchings of muscles and limbs, and especially of orbital muscles, are very marked. Twitchings prevent sleep at night. Numbness and prickling. Codein has in many cases controlled diabetes. Headache is < in morning; restlessness and cough < at night. Symptoms in general are < by motion and > by rest.
Relations.-Compare: Opium in sickness, pains in stomach and region of solar plexus, constipation, sexual excitement. Agar. (twitching of eyelids; Ars. (pains in legs, nightly restlessness); Hyo. (twitching of eyelids after reading); Lach. (sensitiveness of surface); Rhus, Sul., Sul. ac. (trembling); Culex (vertigo on blowing nose).
Causation.-Fatigue and excessive mental excitement = headache.
1. Mind.-Great exhilaration of spirits.-Depression with desire to sleep, frightful dreams and dull headache on awaking.-Increased or diminished power of fixing attention or applying mind.-Bewildered on waking.-Confusion.
2. Head.-Dizziness on blowing nose.-When closing eyes objects appear to turn round.-Dull headache in morning, gradually diminishes towards noon when it disappears.-Dull headache soon after rising, < l. side, lasting about two hours.-Dull headache with dry lips and constant desire to moisten them.-Headache from fatigue and excessive mental excitement.
3. Eyes.-Involuntary twitching of l. eyelid, sometimes > by rubbing.-Involuntary twitching of both eyelids whenever he attempted to read or write.-Pupils contracted.-Sudden failure of vision.-On blowing nose sparks before eyes.
5. Nose.-Mucous discharge with irritation of the Schneiderian membrane.-Entire loss of smell for several days.
8. Mouth.-Mouth dry.-Unable to articulate.
9. Throat.-Strong pulsations in both carotids.-Tickling sensation in throat, in afternoons and evenings.
11. Stomach.-Great thirst with a particular desire for bitter substances.-Empty eructations with acute pains in stomach.-Nausea and vomiting; sometimes preceded by an agreeable glow at epigastrium.-Tenderness in stomach with violent pulsations of heart and carotids.-Violent spasmodic pain at pit of stomach (solar plexus).
13. Stool.-Constipation, with tenderness of bowels, esp. transverse and descending colon, and some flatulence.
14. Urinary Organs.-Semi-paralysis of bladder.-Quantity of urine increased and saccharine.
15. Male Sexual Organs.-Sexual excitement during the night, leading to pollutions.
17. Respiratory Organs.-Tickling in larynx which causes a cough.-Short, irritating cough < during night.-Troublesome cough with copious mucous, and sometimes purulent, expectoration; with nervous excitability.-Night cough of phthisis.-On inspiration, pain in r. lung; pain below scapula; stitching pains in l. lung.
19. Heart.-Uneasy feeling about heart.-Fluttering and oppression with great desire to walk in open air.-Painful pulsation when attempting to study or write.-Violent pulsations of heart and carotids.
20. Neck and Back.-Neuralgic pains from occiput to back of neck.-Convulsions in muscles of back.-Sharp pains extending from stomach and chest through to back, between shoulders, < on r. side.
21. Limbs.-Paralytic weakness in arms and legs.-Spasmodic twitches in arms and legs.-Numbness of hands and feet; prickling and numb sensation in various parts of the body.
22. Upper Limbs.-Pains in deltoids on moving arms.-Jerking pain in arm.-Pulsating pain in l. upper arm.
23. Lower Limbs.-In lower limbs involuntary twitchings; spasmodic jerkings; neuralgia and rheumatic pains.-Paralytic affections with extreme restlessness.
24. Generalities.-Extreme restlessness.-Trembling of whole body.-Marked sensitiveness of surface.-Choreic movements.-Symptoms are periodic, paroxysmal; at times sudden.
25. Skin.-Itchy; prickling.-Eczematous eruption with troublesome itching.-Itching with feeling of warmth.
26. Sleep.-Sleepy and drowsy.-Twitchings in sleep.-Cough disturbing sleep.-Frightful dreams.
“Materia Medica” is a term commonly used in the field of homeopathy to refer to a comprehensive collection of information on the characteristics and therapeutic uses of various natural substances, including plants, minerals, and animal products.
One such work is “Materia Medica,” a book written by Benoit Mure, a French homeopath, in the 19th century. The book is considered a valuable resource for homeopaths and is still widely used today.
In “Materia Medica,” Mure provides detailed information on over 100 homeopathic remedies, including their sources, preparation methods, physical and mental symptoms, and indications for use. He also discusses the philosophy and principles of homeopathy, as well as its history and development.
The book is known for its clear and concise writing style, and it has been praised for its accuracy and depth of knowledge. It remains a popular reference for homeopaths and students of homeopathy.
Overall, “Materia Medica” by Benoit Mure is an important work in the field of homeopathy and is highly recommended for anyone interested in learning about the use of natural remedies in the treatment of various health conditions.
Get Online Homeopathy Consultation And Homeopathy Medicines Free Homeopathy Medicines Consultation Safe and Effective Remedies for You and Your Family
Homoeopathy studies the whole person. Characteristics such as your temperament, personality, emotional and physical responses etc. are of utmost importance when prescribing a remedy. Thus please give as much information as possible and answer as many questions as possible. The answer boxes will scroll to meet your needs. You can ask for professional advice on any health-related and medical subject. Medicines could be bought from our Online Store or Homeopathic store near you.
Homoeopathy is a system of alternative medicine that is based on the concept of “like cures like.” It uses highly diluted substances that are believed to cause similar symptoms as the illness being treated.
There are many online homoeopathic Materia medica, which are resources that list and describe the properties and uses of different homoeopathic remedies. Some popular online homoeopathic Materia medica include:
Boericke’s Materia Medica: A comprehensive reference guide to homoeopathic remedies, including information on their uses, indications, and dosages.
Clarke’s Dictionary of Homeopathic Materia Medica: A well-respected and widely used reference that includes information on the symptoms that each remedy is used to treat.
Homeopathic Materia Medica by William Boer Icke: A popular homoeopathic reference book that provides in-depth information on a wide range of remedies, including their indications, symptoms, and uses.
The Complete Repertory by Roger van Zandvoort: A comprehensive online reference that provides information on remedies, symptoms, and indications, and allows users to search for treatments based on specific symptoms.
There are many writers who have contributed to the development of homoeopathic materia medica. Some of the most well-known include:
Samuel Hahnemann: The founder of homoeopathy, Hahnemann wrote extensively about the use of highly diluted substances in treating illness. He is best known for his work “Organon of the Medical Art,” which outlines the principles of homoeopathy.
James Tyler Kent: Kent was an American homoeopathic physician who is known for his contributions to homoeopathic materia medica. He wrote “Repertory of the Homeopathic Materia Medica,” which is still widely used today.
William Boericke: Boericke was an Austrian-American homoeopathic physician who wrote the “Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica.” This book is considered one of the most comprehensive and widely used homoeopathic reference books.
George Vithoulkas: Vithoulkas is a Greek homoeopathic physician and teacher who has written several books on homoeopathic materia medica, including “The Science of Homeopathy” and “Essence of Materia Medica.”
Robin Murphy: Murphy is an American homoeopathic physician who has written several books on homoeopathic materia medica, including “Homeopathic Clinical Repertory” and “Homeopathic Medical Repertory.”